If you’re wondering if chickpeas are a good source of fiber, you have come to the right place. In this post, we will answer that question, but we won’t stop there. We will provide you with the fiber amount in chickpeas in multiple measurements. Also, we will compare chickpeas to other similar foods, just to give you a better insight into their fiber amount.
Let’s not waste any more time, read on to learn all you need to know about this topic!
Quick Answer: Are chickpeas a good source of fiber? One cup of chickpeas has 9.7 grams of fiber and 211.3 calories. This means that they are a pretty good source of fiber, but you could do better. They have quite a bit of calorie, which makes their ratio of fiber and calories not that good.
For some context, let’s see how much chickpeas you would need to eat to reach the daily recommended dose of fiber, which equals 20 grams. For that, you would need to eat 3 cups of chickpeas, which would also be around 630 calories. This is quite a lot, so you would want to combine them with other sources of fiber.
Moving on, let’s see how they compare to other, similar foods.
Comparing Fiber In Chickpeas To Similar Foods
In this part of the post, we will compare the amount of fiber in chickpeas to other similar foods. Don’t forget, chickpeas have 9.7 grams of fiber and 211.3 calories per cup. (4.6 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- A cup of beans has 18.1 grams of fiber and 240.8 calories. It is a much better choice as a source of fiber than chickpeas. (7.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- Peas have 7.2 grams of fiber and 124.8 calories per cup. They are quite similar to chickpeas. (5.76 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- 1 cup of quinoa has 5 grams of fiber and 222 calories. It has far less fiber than chickpeas. (2.22g per 100 calories)
- 100 grams of soy nuts have 21.4 grams of fiber and 464.3 calories. Soy nuts have the same amount of fiber per calorie as chickpeas. (4.6 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- A cup of lentils has 11.6 grams of fiber and 229.7 calories. Lentils are also quite similar to chickpeas. (5 grams of fiber per 100 calories)
- A cup of peanuts has 12.4 grams of fiber and 827.9 calories. They are much worse than chickpeas. (1.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories).
How Much Fiber Chickpeas Contain By Quantity
- 1 cup of chickpeas has 9.7 grams of fiber and 211.3 calories.
- Chickpeas have 6.4 grams of fiber and 139 calories per 100 grams.
- Chickpeas have 1.8 grams of fiber and 39.4 calories per oz.
In conclusion, chickpeas are a really good source of fiber. While not the best, you can’t go wrong with making them a part of your diet. They provide you with4.6 grams of fiber per 100 calories, which is quite good. You can also easily combine them with other foods to reach your daily fiber goal.