So, you’re wondering if bran muffins are a good source of fiber? This article has the answer you’re looking for, plus a bunch more useful info!
- In the first part of this post, you will learn everything about bran muffins as a source of fiber. We will also provide you with their calorie count for good measure.
- Then, we will compare bran muffins with other similar sources of fiber, to see which one is better.
- Finally, we will give you the fiber count in bran muffins in multiple measurements.
Read on to get all of this information about bran muffins!
Quick Answer: Are bran muffins a good source of fiber? One medium-sized bran muffin has 4.6 grams of fiber and 293.7 calories. This means that you will get 1.6 grams of fiber for every 100 calories of bran muffins you eat.
Unfortunately, these numbers make bran muffins a subpar source of fiber. There are simply better options out there. Bran muffins have plenty of other health benefits, and they taste good, so they can still find a place in your diet, even as a supporting fiber source.
What does that mean exactly? Well, you should add plenty of different fiber sources to your diet, mostly focusing on the best ones or the ones that provide you with the most fiber per 100 calories.
However, bran muffins can be used to fill the remaining daily fiber needs to help you reach your goal easier. They do provide you with a certain amount of fiber, after all, so they shouldn’t be completely ignored.
We should eat around 30 grams of fiber every day. With bran muffins, you will reach this amount by eating around 6 medium-sized ones. This equates to 1,900 calories, which is quite a bit. Naturally, you shouldn’t get all your fiber from them as this is simply way too many calories, but an occasional bran muffin can help give you a small amount of fiber.
Now, let’s compare them to other similar foods.
Comparing Fiber In Bran Muffins To Similar Foods
A medium-sized bran muffin has 4.6 grams of fiber and 293.7 calories (1.6 grams of fiber per 100 calories). Let’s see how they compare to other similar sources of fiber:
- An English muffin has 2 grams of fiber and 129.4 calories. (1.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) It is almost the same as a bran muffin when it comes to fiber, just a tiny bit worse.
- One cake donut has 0.7 grams of fiber and 225.2 calories. (0.3 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Cake donuts are a bad source of fiber, and they are much worse than bran muffins.
- A plain croissant has 1.2 grams of fiber and 305 calories. (0.4 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Croissants don’t offer much fiber at all, making them a much worse alternative to bran muffins as well.
- One pancake has 0.4 grams of fiber and 99.3 calories. (0.4 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Pancakes are yet another awful source of fiber, with just 0.4 grams per 100 calories, which is four times less than bran muffins.
- One Fig Newton has 0.4 grams of fiber and 55.3 calories. (0.7 grams of fiber per 100 calories) Fig Newtons also don’t offer much in terms of fiber, so bran muffins win this one as well.
- One Snickers bar has 1.4 grams of fiber and 278 calories. (0.5 grams of fiber per 100 calories) besides being unhealthy, a Snickers bar is also a worse source of fiber than a bran muffin.
How Much Fiber Bran Muffins Contain By Quantity
- 1 medium-sized bran muffin has 4.6 grams of fiber and 293.7 calories.
- Bran muffins have 4.1 grams of fiber and 259.9 calories per 100 grams.
- Bran muffins have 1.2 grams of fiber and 73.7 calories per oz.
There you go, it turns out bran muffins are not a really good source of fiber, but you could do much worse. When it comes to sweets, they actually don’t do that bad. We wouldn’t recommend bran muffins to be your main source of fiber, but as we mentioned earlier, you can use them to reach your fiber goals more easily. Just make sure to add other, better fiber sources to your diet.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!