Are you looking for the best popcorn kernels for stovetop popping? If so, check out this list of 10 great ones that are sure to be delicious when you’re craving that movie theater vibe at home…
Best Popcorn Kernels for Stovetop
Anthony’s Organic Yellow Popcorn
Do you want delicious popcorn for snacking or a movie night? This organic yellow popcorn from Anthony’s Popcorn is great for the stovetop but can also be used in the microwave or an air popper.
These corn kernels pop up to be fluffy and crunchy, making them the perfect base to drizzle with salt and oil or add other flavors. You can even find recipes for different sweet and savory combinations at the Anthony’s Popcorn website.
Add some chili powder for a spicy kick, or go sweet by using coconut sugar and oil for caramel popcorn. The combinations are endless, and this popcorn can take any flavor and make it delicious.
- Grown and packaged in California
- Non-GMO, USDA-Certified organic, and naturally gluten-free
- Results in large fluffy pieces of corn that are great for snacking
- A few users noted that it took longer to pop than some other brands they had tried.
- Some reported that there were quite a few unpopped kernels at the bottom
- It can clump together
Paragon Bulk Bag Yellow Popcorn
This 12.5-pound bag of unpopped kernels will last you through many movie nights, so you won’t have to restock your pantry anytime soon. Those who love big, fluffy popcorn that the fistful can easily eat will appreciate the large kernels.
Popcorn from these kernels results in butterfly-shaped corn, which has a more complex pattern and is typically airy and fluffy. It is usually compared to mushroom popcorn that, is rounder and holds toppings like caramel much better than other varieties.
Read Also: Best Popcorn Kernels for Hot Air Poppers
- Has very few unpopped kernels at the bottom of the bowl
- Popcorn is very crisp and delicious without being tough or chewy and has great flavor.
- Great price makes this an excellent value for the amount of corn you receive
- Some thought the popcorn was a little on the small side
- A few users said the kernels didn’t fully pop even when they used a lot of oil
Amish Country Red Popcorn
Popcorn by this company claims to bring you “a taste of Amish goodness.” Amish Country Popcorn was started in 1965 when the owner started planting corn for his son. All these years later, they are still going strong and making delicious popcorn for even more people.
These corn kernels are red and considered hulless, which means they are smaller than typical corn kernels. When popped, you get tender popcorn free of sharp hulls that can irritate your gums and get stuck in your teeth.
Although the kernels themselves are red, the popcorn pops into a bright white color, and only the hull will be reddish. If you want to switch up your popcorn and add a different aesthetic, try out red corn and see how you like it.
Read Also: Best Popcorn Kernels for Popcorn Machine
- Made without any toxic additives or allergens
- Grown, manufactured, and packaged in the United States
- It comes with a free eBook with 15 popcorn recipes
- Almost all the kernels popped and had a perfect consistency
- Because the popcorn is on the smaller side, it can burn easily
Black Jewell Original Black Hulless Popcorn Kernels
Have you ever tried black popcorn? If you haven’t heard of it before, you probably expect something quite different. But just because the kernels are black, it still pops white and has few hulls.
This means the popcorn is soft and easy to chew, making it perfect for kids and those with sensitive teeth. It’s also easy to digest because it’s not as tough and chewy as other kinds of popcorn.
A 28-ounce container is sure to satisfy your popcorn cravings for weeks. It’s also a low-calorie snack full of fiber, so you can indulge as much as you want.
- The back has a grid so you can measure and cut to specific dimensions
- Waterproof and adhesive, so it grips to flat surfaces
- Transforms drawers and cabinets into works of art
- A few users found the backing was difficult to peel off
- Several customers thought the adhesive didn’t stick strong enough.
- It may not be re-usable if the adhesive wears off after the first use
Trader Joe’s Organic Popping Corn
Trader Joe’s has a strong following and is known for its unique and delicious products. This popcorn is no exception, and you can purchase this nearly 2-pound bag which can be put in a pan and popped quickly on the stovetop.
Just drizzle in a little oil and some salt, and you’ll be enjoying delicious, fluffy popcorn in minutes. Snack on this organic corn to keep hunger at bay while knowing you’re eating something healthy that the whole family can enjoy.
Try sprinkling on some nutritional yeast for a savory, cheesy flavor.
- It tastes very fresh even without adding any oil or spices
- The bag is not resealable
- Some thought it was too expensive
Franklin’s Organic Popping Corn
Grab a jar of this popping corn by Franklin’s Gourmet Popcorn, and you’ll have popcorn that tastes as it came from the movie theater. Why leave home when you can eat something this delicious from the comfort of your couch? All that’s missing is the movie!
The corn has been grown in Iowa and packaged not too far away in Wisconsin, so you know it’s fresh and hasn’t traveled long distances to be processed. With classic yellow kernels, you will get fresh and delicious popcorn.
The fact that it’s organic is just the icing on the cake. Although it may not be as cheap as other brands, many agree that it’s worth the extra cost for a treat that’s healthy but tastes indulgent.
- Results in very large popcorn so you can use fewer kernels but get a great yield of popcorn.
- It has a slightly sweet taste to it
- A few mentioned their corn was dry and did not pop well
Jiffy Pop Butter-Flavored Popcorn
Many people probably grew up making popcorn on the stove with Jiffy Pop’s signature packs full of popcorn. These products make eating popcorn fun because it’s an adventure to watch it puff up on the stove as it cooks.
Although the packaging says it is butter-flavored, you will be happy to know that it doesn’t contain any dairy products. Instead, it relies on vegetable oil, natural flavors, and soy milk for the delicious flavor. Don’t you love it when you discover new accidentally vegan products?
Make sure to shake it as it pops so the kernels get evenly distributed and pop equally. Kids will love making popcorn this way, and you’ll create lasting memories and new family traditions together.
- It has a self-contained popping pan, so you don’t have to use your pot, and there’s nothing to clean up.
- It can be taken when you travel and popped over a campfire or camp stove
- This popcorn is fun to eat and brings with it a taste of nostalgia
- The popping can be inconsistent at times, and it is difficult to see if all the kernels are popped because the container is closed.
Great Northern Popcorn Premium Yellow Gourmet Popcorn
You really can’t go wrong choosing kernels from the Great Northern Popcorn Company. They are known for using fresh ingredients and high-quality corn for the best popcorn around.
One of the secrets to their gourmet corn is keeping the kernels in special storage bins, so it stays fresh. There’s a reason it is sold at Major League Baseball stadiums and in movie theaters. If you haven’t tried it yet, you’re sure to be hooked after a few bites.
This 12-pound jug will be on your wish list in no time, and you won’t be able to get enough of this hot, salty, delicious treat. Discover the difference that years of experience and strict quality control can make in creating the perfect batch of popcorn.
- The jug comes with a lid, so the kernels stay fresh, and the popcorn turns out great every time you make it.
- Each kernel is picked, so it expands and results in big, fluffy pieces of popcorn.
- Most commented that the high-quality kernels resulted in superior popcorn.
- A few thought it was overpriced
- There were some issues with the plastic container arriving cracked near the lid or with the kernels spilled.
Original Whirley Pop Gourmet Popcorn Set with Stovetop Popper
It’s hard to confirm whether or not all of the flavors are vegan or dairy-free. So do your research if you’re planning on going with this one. The device is still super cool so maybe try it with different kernels!
This gourmet popcorn kit from Wabash Valley Farms is the perfect starter pack for anyone who wants to make delicious popcorn on the stove. If you are worried about having the perfect size pot or don’t know what to use for making popcorn, this kit solves all those problems.
It comes with a stovetop popper that has been designed just for making popcorn. You will even receive an assortment of different kernels to try, including kettle corn.
After you make your popcorn, you don’t have to worry about having a big mess to clean up. Instead, the popper has a removable lid that you just press on the quick release clips and wipe out with a paper towel.
- The patented stirring system ensures that popcorn doesn’t burn by moving the kernels around to cook evenly.
- It makes up to 6 quarts of popcorn in approximately 3 minutes
- This is a great gift for popcorn and snack lovers
- A few customers had their popcorn damaged upon arrival
- Some thought the popper was flimsy and not as durable as previous ones
Franklin’s Gourmet Movie Theater Popcorn
If you like simplicity and ease when cooking, you can get that same experience when making popcorn by using Franklin’s Gourmet popcorn. These pre-measured packs are the perfect portion of popcorn and contain oil and seasoning, so you don’t have to go hunting through cupboards to find ingredients.
You’ll also be able to easily make the perfect batch of delicious popcorn without questioning if your measurements are accurate. This means no more greasy popcorn that has too much oil or salt. Instead, you’ll have a gently seasoned snack that is healthy and light.
It contains coconut oil and a seasoning pack with artificial butter flavor, which is dairy-free and uses beta carotene for the yellow coloring instead of yellow #5 and #6. This makes it a much healthier option than traditional popcorn.
Open up a pack, mix the ingredients in your pop, and let your stove do the work. You’ll have a hot, freshly popped bowl of popcorn in no time.
- It comes in pre-measured packs for portion control and convenience
- It contains non-GMO corn and no artificial colors
- The packaging is nice and individual packets means it won’t go stale
- Some thought it was too salty
- A few customers reported that the portions were on the smaller side
Things to Consider When Selecting the Best Popcorn Kernels for Stovetop
Save money by buying kernels in bulk and then storing them in an air-tight container in the pantry so they will last longer and stay fresh. If you make popcorn often and are worried about opening the container repeatedly, you can portion it out into smaller jars so you don’t dip into the main supply as often.
Type of Corn
You may never have thought much about popcorn or known that many varieties exist. On this list, you’ll find red and black popcorn in addition to the usual white and yellow. The color of the corn and the type will mean a variety of sizes and flavors.
White corn is usually smaller and more tender compared to yellow. Black corn kernels result in popcorn with a nuttier flavor. Red kernels pop into white popcorn, but the hulls will still have a bit of color to them.
Hulls vs. Hulless
All corn kernels will have hulls, and even those categorized as hulless are not truly free of hulls. Still, hulless kernels will have much fewer hulls than other varieties. If you often struggle with the chewy hulls or find they poke your gums, look for a hulless variety.
Hulless corn kernels also usually mean that you get more popcorn by volume because it pops completely and leaves little residue at the bottom of the bowl. But if you prefer chewy popcorn and like eating the partially popped, crunchier bits, you can go with regular hulled kernels instead.
The container that the kernels are packaged in will contribute a lot to keeping the contents fresh while they are in storage. If you don’t make popcorn that often, then a plastic jug or other containers with a lid will help seal in freshness for a long time.
But if you’re someone who snacks on popcorn throughout the week, a bag that isn’t resealable will go fast, and you won’t have to worry about it spoiling. You can always put it into another jar or a sealable plastic bag to not spill in the pantry.
Making popcorn on the stove is very convenient because it doesn’t take a lot of equipment. You don’t have to search for a popcorn machine, clear counter space, or deal with messy clean-up. All you need is the stovetop and a pot for this kind of popcorn.
Popcorn lovers know that not all corn kernels are created equal. Some companies go above and beyond to ensure their kernels are selected only from the best crops and processed meticulously. This attention to detail and focus on quality results in a much tastier popcorn evident in every bit.
If you are picky about your popcorn and only want to eat the best, look for gourmet kernels that have been handled with care. You probably won’t even mind paying a little more for a superior product that will delight your taste buds.
Making popcorn should be a fun experience that shouldn’t take too much time. After all, you want a snack in minutes to get on with your day or start that movie. If you want the best popcorn in the shortest time, you can’t go wrong with Great Northern Popcorn Premium Yellow Gourmet Popcorn.
The large jug is a great value for the money, and their high-quality kernels mean delicious popcorn every time.
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!