Do you love making fast, healthy batches of popcorn? If so, you need this list of the best popcorn kernels for hot air popper use. We’ve compiled a list of 9 excellent varieties that will dazzle your taste buds.
Don’t have time to read? Here’s a quick summary of the products we recommend.
Best Popcorn Kernels for Air Popper
Amish Country Popcorn Rainbow Blend
Have you ever heard of rainbow popcorn? If not, you’ve got to try this variety of corn from Amish Country Popcorn. Grab this 2-pound bag and get your air popper ready because you are in for a treat.
The rainbow popcorn combines four colors, white, yellow, blue, and red, for a unique blend. It will make for a fun popcorn experience. However, you should know that it’s just the kernels that are colored, and the popcorn will still be white but with a variety of tastes and textures.
Their signature hulless popcorn means kernels that are smaller and more tender. You won’t get irritating pieces stuck in your gums or poking your mouth while you try to eat.
- It comes with an eBook, “15 Amazing Popcorn Recipes.”
- This product is non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free.
- Grown, manufactured, and packaged in the United States
- Some reported that the blue kernels resulted in small corn and tended to burn.
- A few thought it was not a good value for the price
Hoosier Hill Farm Ruby Red Popcorn
Indulge your taste for popcorn with this luxurious ruby red corn from Hoosier Hill Farm. It comes in a 4-pound container with a lid that screws on tightly to keep the kernels fresh inside—no more stale batches of corn to disappoint when you’re hungry.
Although the kernels themselves are red, the popcorn will pop up white like other varieties of corn. However, these ruby red kernels are known for their slightly sweet taste. If you haven’t tried it but want to add variety to your popcorn, this is a great option.
- Crisp popcorn that is medium-sized with few hulls to irritate gums
- Works great in an air popper
- Easy to chew because of the tender popcorn
- Some found the corn was on the smaller side and that it burnt easily
Great Northern Popcorn Yellow Gourmet Popcorn
This gourmet yellow corn from the Great Northern Popcorn Company comes in two bags, each 5-pounds, so you will be able to enjoy delicious popcorn for a long time. These corn kernels are great because they expand into large, fluffy pieces of popcorn while retaining tenderness and great taste.
Store the kernels in a cool and dry cupboard or pantry in an airtight container to avoid losing moisture. After being harvested, the kernels are stored in special bins to be fresh when they reach your home. With proper storage in your kitchen, they will last for a long time.
- Bulk quantity gives great value for the money
- The bag is moisture-proof, so kernels stay fresh
- Certified organic and gluten-free
- Made from corn that is grown in the USA and is not genetically modified
- A few customers reported that their corn tasted stale when they got it
- Some said that their popcorn resulted in many unpopped kernels
Jolly Time Select Premium Yellow Popping Corn
Is it time to stock up and replenish your supply of popcorn? Consider this package of 6, 30-ounce jars of premium yellow corn from Jolly Time. You can trust this 4th generation, a family-owned company making excellent popcorn since 1914.
Now you can buy once and forget about it for months while your pantry stays full of popcorn, ready whenever the mood strikes. Just put it in your popper and enjoy knowing you are eating a high-fiber snack that is naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Read Also: Best Popcorn Kernels for Popcorn Machine
Those with allergies will be glad to know that such a snack can be prepared in minutes without any annoying side effects. Instead, you can eat it as often as you want and feel great after each bowl.
- Grown and packaged in the United States
- Certified gluten-free
- These kernels pop quickly and result in few hulls or unpopped kernels
- Results in light, fluffy and large popcorn
- A few people mentioned the popcorn was chewy and did not taste fresh
- One user reported the seal on their jar was loose
Pop Secret Popcorn Jumbo Kernels
Those who love huge, fluffy popcorn that they can eat by the handful will be glad to discover Pop Secret’s jumbo popping corn. You won’t be able to get enough, so it’s good that this two-pack comes with 50-ounce jars to have unlimited popcorn.
This brand has been a favorite for generations, and you may have even grown up eating it. Now it’s easier than ever to make a healthy, wholesome snack by putting these kernels into your air popper and having a hot, fluffy, crunchy bowl of popcorn.
If you are trying to be healthier, this popcorn is an excellent choice because it tastes great without oil or salt. You can add your seasonings or have it plain for a low-calorie snack throughout the day.
- It stays fresh for a long time.
- Almost everyone reported that it has excellent taste and can be eaten without seasoning.
- A few people said they only received one bottle even though they purchased two.
- Some found it was too expensive
Organic White Popcorn Dutch Butter-Flavored
This organic white popcorn comes from a corn heirloom called Pennsylvania Dutch Flavored popcorn. It’s a butterfly popcorn which means it pops into fluffy, large pieces of corn compared to the globe-shaped ones.
Read Also: Best Popcorn Kernels for Stovetop
Although the name butter-flavored can be deceptive, this product is vegan and contains only corn kernels without any additives or flavorings. Butter flavor comes from the variety of corn that the kernels were harvested from.
- It has a fresh and delicious flavor with tender, softer popcorn
- When popped in an air popper, it is light and airy with a delicious taste
- Made from heirloom, non-GMO corn grown in Illinois
- Some were disappointed by the small size of the popcorn
- A few mentioned that it might have gluten cross-contamination
Mushroom Popcorn Kernels by Just Poppin
Are you in the mood for something a bit different when it comes to your popcorn? Perhaps you want to try making your caramel corn at home. If so, this mushroom popcorn by Just Poppin is the one for you.
These kernels are called mushrooms because they pop into a ball shape instead of the more common butterfly one. The corn it comes from has been cultivated over time to produce kernels that result in more mushrooms than butterfly popcorn.
This kind of popcorn has more surface area and can hold caramel, toffee, chocolate, or other toppings and seasonings. It also looks great and has a great expansion rate of 36-38:1, so you will get a large piece of fluffy popcorn.
Be prepared for a few pieces of butterfly-shaped popcorn to show up. You should have a majority of mushroom corn, but because this corn is not genetically modified, there will be some butterfly kernels.
- Just Poppin prides itself on clean kernels that are air washed to remove dirt and debris.
- Get professional-looking popcorn that can be added to cakes and other treats as decoration.
- By volume, you will get more popped corn from fewer corn kernels
- Mushroom popcorn usually has more hulls than the butterfly variety, and some people didn’t like this aspect.
- A few people who tried it said it tasted rather stale and wasn’t very crunchy.
Quinn Snacks Popcorn Kernels
Those who shudder at purchasing anything in a plastic bag will be happy to discover corn kernels sold in something different. These cartons of corn from Quinn Snacks come in 28-ounce containers that are easy to open and pour directly into your air popper or measuring cup.
The corn is grown in Indiana on family-owned farms, and with their farm-to-bag transparency program, you will know where the product you’re consuming comes from. Just go to the company’s website and put in your batch number to get all the details about every ingredient.
You’ll get plump, white popcorn that has a light taste. It pops very consistently and evenly, so you can rely on it to make a great batch of popcorn every time you want a quick and healthy snack.
- Butterfly-style popcorn pops up big and fluffy with a few unpopped kernels or hulls.
- A carton style container is easy to store and pour from
- It stays fresh even though it is not packaged in plastic
- Some people said their first batch was great, but the second order was disappointing.
- A couple of customers said the price increased since their previous order and found it too expensive now.
Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popcorn Kernels
The classic popcorn company, Orville Redenbacher, has made a name regarding quality corn kernels. Their original yellow corn is versatile and can be used in an air popper to make delicious batches of this addictive snack.
After popping, you will have a fluffy, light popcorn with a bright white color that crispy outside and soft corn on the inside. All that’s left to do is sprinkle it with your favorite seasonings and enjoy.
You will get the classic taste you’ve come to know and love and the ease and convenience of popping it your way. With an air popper, you will have much healthier popcorn to indulge your cravings guilt-free.
- Many said they got the biggest, fluffiest popcorn they’d ever had with these kernels.
- Has fewer unpopped kernels than other brands
- Highly recommended for use with an air popper because it doesn’t burn
- Some customers had their containers damaged upon arrival which resulted in spilled kernels.
- A few people said it had too many hulls.
Things to Consider When Buying Best Popcorn Kernels for Air Popper
Whatever the corn kernels come in makes a big difference to how convenient you can store them. Bags can easily burst during shipping and cause a mess of corn kernels scattered all over the packaged box.
Although plastic containers can also break, it’s usually a good idea to get a jug like this with a lid that can be reused. Containers with tight lids will keep the corn fresh in the pantry. Not to mention it’s easy to open the lid and pour some into a measuring cup when it’s time to make popcorn.
If you’ve tried many different popcorn brands, you know that the corn harvested makes a difference in taste and texture. Companies that care about harvesting their crops and storing the kernels in special storage containers result in much better popcorn.
Gourmet popcorn and other heirloom varieties that have been cultivated for flavor are always a good choice. You’ll know that you are getting a better product, and every batch, from the first to the last, will be delicious and fresh.
Type of Corn
Some may think that there’s only one type of popcorn. If you’ve only ever had the same kind, you may think that’s all there is. But there are so many others to choose from, including classics like white and yellow and red and black.
There’s also butterfly popcorn which is fluffier and has a more complex pattern than the mushroom type, which is rounder. White corn is often smaller when popped and more tender. So depending on your preferences, you’re sure to find corn that you will love, which you may have never known about before.
Popcorn lovers agree that freshness is essential to a good batch of corn. There’s nothing worse than chewy, stale-tasting corn. Instead, you want it to have a nice crunch to the texture but not too hard either.
Keeping the kernels in an airtight container helps ensure freshness. The company also shouldn’t ship them too long after being harvested. Storage containers at the packaging facility should ensure no moisture leaks out, so you get the best popcorn experience.
Do some research to ensure the manufacturer considers this because moisture can ruin the kernels. Although proper storage can account for a lot once you get the product home, it won’t save corn kernels that haven’t been handled properly.
Making popcorn in an air popper instead of on the stovetop will save you time simply by choosing this method. In addition to the mechanism you use to pop the corn kernels, you should also look for a product that is easy to use so you can make snacks fast.
One of the reasons popcorn is so appealing is because it’s so easy to make. It doesn’t require any preparation or chopping, and it’s difficult to make a bad batch. Starting with high-quality kernels makes the process even simpler.
Kernels that come cleaned and ready to be popped right away will save even more time. A container that can be opened within seconds without spilling means less clean-up time. The size of the bag or jug will make a difference, too, because that will make it convenient to pour the right amount of kernels into your air popper.
If you’re hosting a party or a movie night with family and friends, you’ll want a continuous supply of popcorn to make sure you don’t run out. Of course, you could make a huge batch in advance, but it will become cold and stale over time.
One of the advantages of having an air popper is that you can have a fresh, hot batch of popcorn almost instantly. Then all you’ll have to do is pause the movie or step away from the party for a few minutes and return with a big, heaping bowl of delicious popcorn that is sure to delight everyone.
Starting with the right popcorn makes a huge difference. To save on cook time, get kernels with their oils and seasonings. Or make a mix of seasonings and spices in advance to sprinkle on top once the corn is ready so it can be enjoyed immediately.
If you’re new to popcorn and just read through this list, you may be overwhelmed or just excited to try different types that you just discovered. We hope to have introduced you to some amazing new popcorn that will soon become a favorite.
If you have to choose just one for today, though, we recommend the Pop Secret Popcorn Jumbo Kernels because everyone loves huge pieces of popcorn. Plus, many people agree that it’s delicious, so it’s healthy and will make a quick and easy snack. Try it out and see for yourself if it’s as good as they say!
Hey, I’m Joey. I’ve been cooking since I was a little kid and love everything about it. You can find my writing about food, kitchen appliances (such as blenders) and much more. Thanks for stopping by!