Question of the Day: Are banana peppers bell peppers?
Quick Answer: No, banana peppers are not bell peppers, and though both belong to the same family, they are entirely different species. They appear very different and are vastly different in their nutritional profiles.
Banana peppers get their name from the fact that they look like bananas. They are generally yellow, have a semi-crescent shape, and their waxy skin is shiny. Bell peppers come in various colors, are squat, rounded, and look very much like a bell.
The most significant differences, though, lie in their nutrient levels. Banana peppers and bell pepper are both high in dietary fiber and potassium, but:
- Banana peppers are higher in sugar.
- Bell peppers are lower in carbohydrates.
- Banana peppers are higher in calories.
- Bell peppers have more folate.
- Banana peppers are lower in vitamins A and C.